In 1927 M.E. Gardiner and his son Bill arrived in Meaford from Exeter and established a funeral business to serve the needs of this community.
The business was first established at 36 Trowbridge St. E., then moved to 4 Sykes St. N. where it remained for many years.
In 1951 the Gardiner Funeral business was sold to Sandy and Ruth Alton and Bert and Jean Hamilton.
Don Wilson, nephew of Bert and Jean Hamilton, began working in the business in 1960 while attending high school. In 1963 he graduated from the Canadian School of Embalming; the following year he married the former Marigay Cook of Meaford, and in 1969 he and Marigay realized their desire to be a continuing part of the growth of our town, and purchased the Gardiner Funeral Home.
To better meet the needs of a growing and caring community, 1975 saw the move to the present location to the historic “Cleland Home” at 69 Denmark Street. The “Cleland Home” was built in 1872.
After receiving a B.A. degree from Windsor University, their son Brent joined his parents in the business.
We are proud to be continuing this long established business in our beautiful community, and serving the fine people of this area.
|Don Wilson||Brent Wilson|